Sesame Noodles

I love anything with Sesame - sesame chicken especially - and I have been hoarding two recipes for sesame noodles for some times now. I laughed when I realized they were the exact same recipe! So I figured, it must be good, right? This recipe couldn't be easier to prepare and was just what my taste buds were looking for. Flavorful, yet not overpowering - the perfect Asian side dish.

Justin, on the other hand, didn't think it was quite as perfect as I did. He thought it lacked a very important ingredient - peanut butter. (As a side note, until recently, I didn't realize most sesame noodle recipes had peanut butter in them - good to know!) Seeing as how I am fatally allergic to the creamy (or chunky) goodness, I couldn't exactly try it out to see if Justin was right. So if you are a purist like me, this recipe is perfect as is. If you are more like Justin, add a little peanut butter and let me know what you think!

Sesame Noodles


6 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
6 Tbsp. rice vinegar
6 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. dark sesame oil
1 lb. uncooked pasta (I used spaghetti, but any long pasta will work)
3 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds (I didn't have any on hand, so I omitted)
1/2 c. chopped scallions

Place the first five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves. Toast the seeds in a 350 degree oven, just until slightly golden.

Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Pour the sauce over the boiled and drained pasta, add the sesame seeds and chopped scallions, and mix thoroughly.

Source: adapted from Sweet Amandine