Hershey's "Perfect Chocolate" Chocolate Cake and my final Wilton Course 1 Cake

I know what you are thinking - "Umm, shouldn't it be decorated or something?" Yes, it should be. Unfortunately, I got sick in the middle of the last class and had to leave, so my cake never got decorated. :-( Sad, I know! I had planned to give this cake to Mrs. Walk for her birthday, but I just wasn't feeling up to to decorating it the next day so I cut her a nice healthy piece and put a few icing roses on top (which I then promptly forgot to take a picture of).

I will eventually make a cake just to decorate, but I couldn't go on without sharing this (well-known) recipe. I've heard this recipe is divine, and it definitely didn't disappoint. Mrs. Walk (who I consider to be a chocolate-connoisseur) said it was one of the moistest, most delicious chocolate cakes she had ever eaten. So happy (now belated) birthday, Mrs. Walk! I owe you a decorated cake one of these days. :-)

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be extremely thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely; frost as desired.

Variations:

ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. (yields about 30 cupcakes).

Source: Hershey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you got sick. You'll conquer that cake another day.

Mrs. Walk said...

It really was amazingly delicious. It doesn't even need icing at all--it was fantastic without! Thanks, Mrs. D!

Stacy Hoover said...

Sorry to hear you were sick :(. Hope you are feeling better! I just had to say that cake recipe really is to die for!!! I have used that many times when I did a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. Ahhhhhh, is there anything better than a good chocolate cake recipe? Thanks for reminding me how good this one really is!