Homemade Chili


(As you can see, yet another picture where Justin got to it first!)

When I have made chili in the past, I have used McCormick's Chili Seasoning Mixes and just followed the simple directions. I really wanted to try making it from scratch because it is one of Justin's favorite foods. I found this recipe and just doctored it to Justin's tastes (since I don't like chili) and what we had in the house. After eating two bowls, Justin said it was great! He said it had just the right amount of kick to it. (I find everything spicy (even when it's not). I licked my finger after spooning it out, and immediately had to run for some milk!) It takes some time to simmer, but it was perfect for a late dinner. Next time, I think I will try it in my crock pot. Justin had it for dinner and lunch the next day, and I have two containers in the freezer for when my mom comes to visit this weekend.

Homemade Chili

1 lb. ground beef
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can tomato paste
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup beer
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. smoked Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. white sugar
shredded cheese

Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Crumble the beef into the hot pan and cook evenly until brown. Add all ingredients except shredded cheese. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, ladle into bowls and serve topped with shredded cheese.


Source: Adapted from All Recipes

0 comments: