Cheesecake Brownies

As soon as I had my new kitchen unpacked, I couldn't wait to use my KA mixer. I was using it faithfully in our old apartment, but since there was no room in our kitchen, it stayed in the box in the dining room (along with the rest of our wedding gifts). I had to lug it in and out of the kitchen every time I wanted to use it. Now it has a happy little spot in the corner of my new kitchen. :-) Anyway... I saw this recipe a while back on one of my favorite blogs and just haven't had the chance to actually make them. Once I saw them again on another blog, I knew I couldn't resist any longer. Let me tell you - they are heavenly. Both Justin and Beth (Hi Beth!), my two loyal taste-testers, loved them and I have to say, I think they are just amazing. I love cream cheese, so adding that to brownies? Brilliant. Go make these. Right now.

Cheesecake Brownies

For the brownies:
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

For the cheesecake topping:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk
5 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract

Line a 9 in. square pan with foil, making sure it goes up all four sides. (Use two sheets if necessary.) Mist with non-stick spray or grease lightly.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the 2/3 cup sugar, then the eggs.

Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and salt, then the vanilla. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.

In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the yolk, 5 Tbsp. sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Distribute the cream cheese mixture in eight dollops across the top of the brownie mixture, then take a dull knife or spatula and swirl the cream cheese mixture with the chocolate batter.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until the batter in the center of the pan feels just set. (Please note - I did the toothpick test, and they weren't done until baked for almost 50 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on them!)

Let cool, then lift out of the foil and peel away. Let brownies cool completely before cutting into squares.

These will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days. They also freeze well, too.

Source: David Lebovitz

1 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

These were awesome, especially since they were still warm when I got to them! I wish I had one in front of me right now...