Twice-Baked Potato Casserole


I got this recipe from a friend at work and I knew it would be delicious just by reading it. Potatoes and cheese: you can't go wrong! And the extra fabulous thing about this dish - you can make it a day ahead! It's perfect for holidays with a lot of people. (I halved the recipe which are the measurements I wrote below.) The verdict? Justin said these are the best potatoes I have ever made. (He didn't even let me take a picture before he dug in!) I think that means they are my new go-to potato recipe!

Twice-Baked Potato Casserole

4 medium baking potatoes
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
8 oz. (1 cup) sour cream
4 oz. (1/2 cup) cream cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, for garnish (I omitted this)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pierce the potatoes and place on a baking pan. Bake the potatoes for 1 1/4 hours, until very soft.

Peel and mash the potatoes in a large bowl with a potato masher or electric mixer. Add the cream cheese, butter, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, and the sour cream. Stir well. (They will not have the smooth consistency of mashed potatoes; they will be a little lumpy.) Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and stir again.

Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray. Place the potatoes in the dish and smooth down the top. The casserole may now be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to bake.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap and bake the potatoes for 30-35 minutes, until hot. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole and return to the oven for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts. Garnish with chopped chived before serving (if desired).

2 comments:

Kara said...

sounds yummy!!

Mrs. Walk said...

This sounds sooo good. You're right, you can't go wrong with potatoes and cheese! I already printed this recipe out, thanks for sharing!