Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I don't like soup. I've never liked soup - any kind for that matter. To me, it just seems pointless to eat liquid for a meal. I saw this recipe, and I thought, "Well... I like broccoli. And I LOVE cheese." So I thought I would give it a try, and I practically licked my plate clean. This soup was delicious! I will definitely make this again, although I will probably use milk instead of cream, because it was very heavy. Definitely give this one a try!

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Ingredients

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter (room temperature) plus 2 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 (16 oz.) package frozen broccoli, thawed or 2-3 cups fresh broccoli

In a medium saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp. of butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir frequently for 20 seconds while it cooks.

Add the flour and stir until thoroughly mixed, about 3 minutes. Slowly add chicken broth while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until thickened.

Add the broccoli, and cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Raise the heat back up to medium-high heat. Add the cream and barely bring to a simmer. Add the cheese and lower heat until cheese is melted. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. cold butter and stir until mixed thoroughly.

Source: Daily Deliciousness

*edited to add source*

0 comments: