Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Last week, Justin told me I was baking too much, since neither of us have a huge sweet tooth. So I took a break from baking. The next day, Justin said he was craving something sweet. I can't win with him! :-)

In response to his craving, and to make sure I had a delicious treat for LOST night (which was great by the way, thanks for asking), I decided to make these adorable sandwich cookies. I have been on a "let's bake everything from scratch" kick, but I couldn't resist such an easy recipe. And the result? Of the 12 it yielded, I only have 3 left. (Typing this reminded me that I forgot to pack one in my lunch, and now I am sad.) Definitely give these a try!

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients

Cookies:
1 package chocolate cake mix (or any flavor of your choice)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature

Frosting:
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 Tbsp. milk

Sprinkles, M&Ms, etc for decorating (optional)

Cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. With an electric mixer, combine cake mix, eggs and butter until just combined, and dry mix has been incorporated. Roll the dough into 1 - 1 1/2 inch balls, place on the prepared baking sheets and press down to slightly flatten.

Bake for 10 minutes, or until inserted toothpick is clean. Allow to cool completely on wire racks.

Frosting:
Beat butter on medium-high speed, until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat until fully incorporated. Add 2 Tbsp. of milk and beat until smooth. If the frosting is too thick, add the remaining Tbsp. of milk and beat until incorporated.

To assemble, pair the cookies based on size on your work surface. Frost the flat side of one cookie from each pair. Place the other cookie of each pair on top of the frosting, flat side down. Lightly press down until the frosting reaches the edge of the cookies.

To decorate, place sprinkles or candies in small bowl. Dip the sides of each cookie in bowl, pressing down gently and rotating to cover the sides completely.

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats

1 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

These were awesome! My husband can't wait for me to make them. I might try using marshmallow creme as the filling instead of frosting, to lighten them up a bit, so I'll let you know how that turns out. But my husband said the filling in these was the best part, so I don't know if he'll approve of my alteration!