Arroz Con Pollo

I used to love watching I Love Lucy as a kid. Ricky Ricardo would always talk about his favorite meal - Arroz Con Pollo. I never knew what it was, but I was sure it had something to do with snails. (Maybe I though it was the Spanish equivalent of Escargot?) My mother confirmed this -Snails with Chicken. (Apparently, she never took Spanish in high school.) But don't worry - I finally learned what it really meant in Spanish 101 in high school. You'll be happy to hear there wasn't a snail within 20 feet when I cooked this. (Nor were any snails harmed in the making of this meal.)

Arroz Con Pollo is just a fancy (and Spanish) way to say Chicken and Rice. My grocery store had drumsticks on sale ($1 a pound!) last week, so I decided to make this recipe. The chicken was moist and flavorful, and the rice had a nice kick to it. Next time, I think I will add a little cumin and some more veggies, but overall it was a tasty and very easy meal for a busy week night.

Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)

2 pounds chicken pieces
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 chicken boullion cube
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dry thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cups long-grain rice
4 cups water

Brown chicken pieces in olive oil and season with salt and pepper (they don’t have to be completely cooked, just browned). Add vegetables and garlic, and continue to saute until translucent. Add rice, thyme and bay, and stir for about a minute. Add water, boullion and tomato paste.Stir well, and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Boil 5 minutes, then cover and reduce heat to low, cooking another 10 minutes. Do NOT lift the lid! (This will make the rice gummy.) Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before lifting the lid.

Source: adapted from Canary Girl (seen on elly says opa!)

6 comments:

The New Mrs said...

Mmmm, this looks very tasty! I may have to add it to our meal plan for next week. Thanks, B!

Kara said...

I think this is going to be on our meal plan next week too! Two of my favorite things - chicken and rice!!

Teany Tiny Star said...

This looks so yummy!

Mary said...

Mmm, we are so trying this!

Mary said...

Did you leave saffron out when you made this? I see it in the original, but not on yours.

Mrs D said...

Mary - I did leave the saffron out, because I didn't have it at home. I didn't think it was lacking without it!