Sugar Cookie Bars

Justin and I went to a graduation party last week and I was asked to bring a dessert. I had a plan to make these delicious (looking) White Chocolate Lime Bars. That would have worked out well had the recipe not been a flop. (Don't worry - I am going to try again with some adjustments.) Fast forward to the day of the party, and I still didn't know what to bring. I remembered seeing these bars a couple times and figured I would give them a try. And boy were they easy! They were in the oven in 10 minutes and frosted in 5. I love my go to sugar cookies, but these are perfect when it's a cookie emergency (and let's face it - we all know those come up now and then).

Sugar Cookie Bars

For the bars:
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

For the frosting:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp. milk
food coloring (if desired)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a jelly roll pan, then line with parchment paper. Lightly grease and flour paper. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add vanilla and mix well.

In a separate bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda, and whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on greased jelly roll pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

To prepare the frosting, cream butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk, and mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie and cut into bars. Add sprinkles if desired.

Source: adapted from Beantown Baker, originally from Anissa's Kitchen

7 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

I wish I had been able to enjoy my piece, but the dog stole it and disappeared with it before I could! Wren, however, gives these two paws up.

Kara said...

these look amazing!

Jen said...

I agree that these are perfect for emergency situations. I've even made them and then used cookie cutters to make shapes. You do waste some of the yumminess that way, but I just use them as taste testers :)

michelle said...

I have been wanting to try this recipe, yours looks great!

Unknown said...

Can you use oil/butter combo instead of shortening?

Mary said...

Interesting. Might have to try these to take to work sometimes.

Mrs D said...

Sunflowerramos - absolutely! I had actually planned to do this, but realized I had some leftover shortening to use up.