Ella's White Sugar Cookies

It is the time of year that Justin and I look forward to each year. (In my best Alice Cooper impression) "School's out for SUMMER!" This is the time that Justin finally gets to relax (in between working on the house and his summer job at the zoo). He works harder than anyone else I know, and I am always so happy when he finally gets a break. (And it doesn't hurt that he has more time to help me around the house, too!)

On the last day of school, I sent Justin in with these sugar cookies as a treat for all the hardworking teachers. I adore this sugar cookie recipe - this is the third time I've made it and I get rave reviews each time.

Ella's White Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Cream butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Add powdered sugar, and beat until fluffy. Blend in egg, almond extract, vanilla extract, salt and flour. Chill dough until firm (at least 1 hour).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a well-floured surface, roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters, and place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. (Cookies should not brown.) Move to wire rack to cool completely. Frost as desired.

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great batch of cookies - so colorful and beautifully decorated! :)

Mrs. Walk said...

Those... are... ADORABLE!!

Aubrey said...

Oh those look so yummy. I think I might try this recipe, unfortunately sugar cookies are my nemesis in the kitchen. Did you make the frosting? What recipe did you use?

P.S. I finally made your chocolate chip cookie brownies and they were delish!