One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes and Wilton Creepy Clowns

Do you know what I love about these cupcakes? I guess I gave it away in the title - one bowl! Who doesn't love only having to wash one bowl after baking cupcakes? These cupcakes were incredibly easy to make and were perfect for my creepy clowns. If you aren't familiar with the creepy clowns, let me introduce you:


Reader? Meet creepy clown. Creepy clown? Meet my readers. Okay, so the clowns are not mandatory for this recipe, but I definitely recommend these cupcakes if you are looking for a quick and easy (and super yummy!) scratch recipe. (Again, I won't include the icing recipe, because... well I don't like it.)

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk*
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

*I never buy buttermilk for recipes. Instead, I add 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar to 1 cup whole milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes. For this recipe, just take 3/4 cup of that mixture.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners and set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely. Pipe creepy clowns onto cupcakes and scare husband when he gets home.

Source: adapted from Martha Stewart

1 comments:

Stacy Hoover said...

I have heard of these before (the cupcakes not the creepy clowns- although I have had my own experience with them - LOL), but I have never made them. Yours look delicious and like you said - one bowl!!! - Come on who wouldn't love no mess and at the same time get to eat cupcakes? Thanks for sharing!!

PS.) I too had to buy the creepy clowns and think I'm still in therapy because of it!!! Wilton really should do something about those!! There are A LOT of cute clown ideas that they could use, but these??? They look like they haven't changed since the 70's. Hopefully the clown portion of the class is soon over and you don't suffer too much mental anguish.