Mini Twice-Baked Potatoes

I had planned to blog about these after our housewarming party, but I couldn't. I know you are asking yourself, "How could you not blog about these amazing heaven-in-a-bite potato delights?" I'll tell you why - I never got to try one! They were eaten so fast that neither Justin nor I even got one little bite. So, on top of not getting a decent picture due to some weird lighting issues, I decided to wait until the next time I made them.

Now that it is summer, I do my very very best to avoid using the oven so I have been putting these off. Justin's best friend came for a visit last weekend and he is obsessed (and I mean obSESSed) with these potatoes. I knew it would make his trip if I made them, so we decided to give it on try on the grill. Cliff's verdict? Well, he was eating them cold out of the fridge, so he may be a little too close to the potatoes to give a true verdict. The rest of us thought they were delicious! They warmed up so quickly (Justin made sure the coals were very hot) and they were absolutely delicious. I now know why they went like hot cakes the first time around. Give this versatile recipe a try - in the oven, on the grill, or even out of the fridge (although I personally think they need to be warm). Just make sure to double the recipe if you are having more than a couple people over!

Mini Twice-Baked Potatoes

1 lb. gourmet red potatoes (about 1- 1 1/2 in in diameter)
1 cup medium cheddar, finely grated
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely minced
2 Tbsp. half and half

Place steam insert over large stockpot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Wash potatoes and halve length wise, cutting an additional bit from the bottom so that the half can stand on its own. Place potatoes into steam insert and cook, covered, until fork tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, place cheddar, cream cheese, and parsley into medium bowl, stirring to combine completely. Let potatoes slightly cool and using a melon baller, scoop out main portion of each potato half, leaving a solid shell. Place scooped out potato into bowl with cheese mixture. Once all potatoes are completed, mix scooped potato and cheese mixture thoroughly until as smooth as possible. Add half and half to smooth mixture.

Place potato shells onto a baking sheet or grill-safe pan. Using a pastry bag or plastic sandwich bag with end snipped, pipe mixture into potato shells. Bake or grill filled potatoes until heated through and just browned on top.

Source: adapted from Good Things Catered

2 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

These were SO. FREAKING. GOOD.

Kara said...

Tim would LOVE these - I'll have to try them sometime.