Macaroni Salad

We had a few people over this weekend and Justin asked me to pick up some macaroni salad from the deli. I knew it would be much cheaper to just make it myself, but I didn't realize it would be just as easy. This recipe took no time at all and is the epitome of a make ahead dish (which you know I love). Justin loved it, as did other macaroni salad lovers. I ended up making waaay more than necessary, so two of our friends happily took home doggy-bags.

Macaroni Salad

1 lb. uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.

In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

Source: adapted from All Recipes

2 comments:

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

This looks awesome!

Mrs. Walk said...

Even I would try this, and you know how I feel about mayo! It doesn't look too mayonnaisey and the rest of the sauce and ingredients sound really yummy!