Lemon-Raspberry-Cupcakes

I know I have been promising to blog about my shrimp lasagna rolls, but wouldn't you much rather skip to dessert? I know I would. :-) I promise I will post lasagna rolls - part 2 tomorrow. But for now, let's talk about sweets!

I knew I wanted to make my chocolate sandwich cookies for Easter, so I searched for a light, fruity cake recipe to compliment them. When I saw this recipe for cupcakes, I knew they would be even cuter (not to mention yummy). The raspberry preserves were the perfect compliment to the sweet lemon flavor. (I used Meyer lemons for a less tart taste.) These were gobbled up so fast, I was glad I decided to make the full recipe instead of cutting it in half. You could easily use a different fruit for the filling and frosting, depending on your tastes. Give these a try!

Lemon-Raspberry Cupcakes
yields 24 cupcakes

Cupcakes:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I used whole milk and lemon juice instead)
zest and juice of 2 Meyer lemons

Filling:
Raspberry preserves

Frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. raspberry preserves
24 raspberries

Wash and drain raspberries. Allow to dry on a paper towel. (This will prevent excess liquid dripping onto the frosting.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

In a large mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Continue beating and gradually add sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Gradually drizzle in the eggs, and beat in between additions, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Beat until batter is no longer slick.

Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk on low speed, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in the lemon juice and lemon zest.

Divide batter between 24 cupcake liners, and bake for 18-20 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.

To fill the cupcakes, cut a small cone out of each cupcake using a small paring knife. Fill with 1 tsp. raspberry preserves and replace each cone. (You may need to cut a small part of the cone off so it sits evenly.)

To prepare the frosting, in a large mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar until frosting consistency. Add preserves and continue to beat until a pinkish hue and raspberry flavor is achieved. Pipe onto cupcakes as desired. (Smoothing with a knife will not work as well with the cone.) Put a raspberry in the center of each cupcake.

Source: adapted from Things Alauna Makes originally Martha Stewart

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks delicious and so refreshing! I hope you consider submitting this to April's Tasty Tools where we are featuring muffin pans! Details are in my blog's left sidebar :)

Mrs. Walk said...

I loved this frosting! Now of course I read that it's 99% pure butter and sugar, haha!