Chicken Marsala


I couldn't find my Chicken Marsala recipe, so I decided to search for a similar one online. I decided on Emeril Lagasse's Chicken Marsala - with a twist. Sorry, Emeril - I think I took the BAM out of your recipe. But it you want to kick it up a notch, you can find Emeril's recipe here.

This is a very fast-paced recipe, so I recommend having all of your ingredients handy.

Ingredients

1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup green onions
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
3 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup Marsala wine
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound thin with a meat tenderizer. (I don't have one so I just used a hammer.)

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. While heating the oil, dredge the chicken halves through the flour, shaking off any excess. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and green onions to the skillet, and cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Transfer the chicken to a warm plate and set aside. (Let the onions continue to cook.)

Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are golden brown around the edges and have released their liquid.

Add the Marsala wine and bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. (Not only does it make the sauce taste wonderful, it makes it easier to wash the skillet!) When the wine has reduced by half, add the chicken stock and cook for three minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly.

Lower the heat to medium and return the chicken breasts to the pan and continue to cook until they are cooked through and the sauce has thickened (about 5 or 6 minutes). Swirl in the last tablespoon of butter, 1 tsp of flour to thicken the sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. (You may want to add another dash of the Marsala wine.)

Serve immediately. I used the rest of the green onions and sauteed them with green beans, olive oil and garlic, and served the chicken with mashed potatoes and the green beans. So yummy! The only thing I will do differently next time is I think I will switch the proportions of the chicken broth and Marsala wine, so the wine taste is more distinct.

0 comments: