Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies

Raise your hand if you grew up with Little Debbies? Surprisingly, I didn't have one of these until last year and I wasn't particularly floored by it. Maybe it has something to do with eating them when you are young versus trying them with a more... umm... mature palette. (Says the girl who can't get enough pizza, hamburgers and macaroni and cheese.) But moving on....

Justin requested some oatmeal cream pies from the grocery store, and I figured I could just as easily make them myself and save a few pennies (not to mention a ton of additional preservatives and calories.) I made these for a barbecue at a friend's house and they were a huge hit! Everyone loved them and said they were a better version of their childhood fave. Grab a glass of cold milk and enjoy one of these at your next cook out.

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies

For the cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups quick oats

For the filling:
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbsp. water

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon and oats, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, until well combined, then add vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, and blend until well-combined. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a dough scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they are just starting to brown around the edges. (They will look moist in the center, so don’t overcook.) Put them on a wire rack to cool.

To make the filling, cream the shortening with the marshmallow cream. Slowly, add the powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat on low for about a minute. If it’s too thick, add a little water. (You want it to be spreadable but not runny.)

To assemble, pair the cookies based on size on your work surface. Frost the flat side of one cookie from each pair. Place the other cookie of each pair on top of the frosting, flat side down. Lightly press down until the frosting reaches the edge of the cookies.

Source: adapted from honey and jam

6 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

OMG... these look AMAZING.

Mary said...

Oh dear. I love oatmeal cookies. And I do have some marshmallow cream in the cupboard, and I'd rather have these than Rice Krispie treats. Oh dear.

Anonymous said...

I made these today and they were awesome!!! My family of six thanks you greatly :) I love your blog and check it often for inspiration. (I'm going to make the fried chicken this week, too!)
--Jessie in VA

Mrs D said...

Glad to hear it, Jesse. :)

cookies and cups said...

I made these a while back and wanted to post them on my site, but when I got around to it, they were ALL GONE!! My family loved them!

Kori said...

Wow, these look delicious!