Chewy Triple Chocolate Cookies




I know what you are thinking, "More cookies?" But it is the time of year where cookies are everywhere! I recently spent an entire weekend in the kitchen baking. Twenty-five dozen cookies later, I thought I never wanted to lay eyes on another cookie for the rest of my life.... until after dinner of course. So although my blog has been dessert heavy lately, expect a few more posts like this before the end of the year.

These cookies are clearly chocolaty. Rich, chocolaty, coma-inducing, goodness. I made them small, and they fit perfectly in the boxes I shipped to friends and family. If you are baking this holiday season, I definitely recommend blowing everybody away with these chocolate delights.

Chewy Triple Chocolate Cookies
Yields 42 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Dark)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
16 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. instant coffee or espresso powder
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together, and set aside.

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water until completely melted and smooth; remove from the heat. (Alternatively, microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals, mixing thoroughly in between, until melted and smooth.) In a small mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and instant coffee granules. Stir well with a fork to dissolve, and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 5 seconds. Mix in the sugars until well combined, about 45 seconds – the mixture will look granular. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat in the egg mixture until incorporated, about 45 seconds. Add the chocolate to the bowl in a steady stream and continue beating until combined, about 40 seconds. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. With the mixer at low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated, being careful not to over beat. Fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until the consistency is scoopable and fudge-like, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets with a 1 ¾-inch cookie dough scoop, spacing the dough balls about 1 ½ inches apart.

Bake until the edges of the cookies have just began to set but the centers are still very soft, about 10 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through baking. Cool the cookies on the sheets about 10 minutes, transfer to cooling racks and allow to cool completely. Cool the baking sheets before baking more batches with the remaining dough.

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats, originally Baking Illustrated

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My oh my. These cookies are like a rich, chocolatey, chewy brownie only in cookie form. Each cookie is studded with chocolate chips which only serve to intensify the chocolatey flavor. I adapted the recipe a bit based on what I had in my kitchen and my own preferences (with my changes they are more like a quintuple chocolate cookie).
Student Loan Consolidation Rebate

The New Mrs said...

Okay, your description "Rich, chocolaty, coma-inducing, goodness" seriously made my mouth water. I will have to make these soon!