Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic and Garlic Potatoes

I've seen many recipes for this and have been itching to try it. How can you not love garlic chicken? 40 cloves of garlic? The more the merrier! I opted to try a crock pot version, because I can't help but love "throw and go" recipes. I plan to try a roasted/baked version to do a comparison post at a later time.

To say this chicken was flavorful would be an understatement. It was so moist and incredibly tasty. I baked some of Pastor Ryan's bread to serve on the side, and it was the perfect place to spread the soft garlic. Because I used chicken breasts, I added a little chicken broth to ensure it wouldn't get too dry. I added more than I meant to, so I threw in some red potatoes and had a wonderful (and easy) side of spicy garlic potatoes ready with the chicken. I will definitely continue to add potatoes from now on.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic and Garlic Potatoes

3-4 pounds chicken (I used all breast meat)
1 small onion, sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground black pepper
20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact
1/4 cup chicken broth
3-5 red potatoes, chopped

Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert. In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Pour into crock pot, on top of the onion. Pour chicken broth on top of chicken and toss in potatoes.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6.

Source: adapted from Beantown Baker, originally A Year of Slow Cooking

0 comments: