Mongolian Beef

Justin and I went out for Chinese food last month. I ordered my fail-safe Orange Chicken, and Justin ordered Mongolian Beef. He convinced me to try a bite, and then was sorry he did, as I ate his whole meal! When I saw this recipe a couple weeks later, I immediately put it on my meal plan for the following week. This recipe was very easy to make, and I had almost everything in my pantry already. I will make this again when I'm craving my new favorite Asian dish.


Mongolian Beef

1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
1/4 cup of cornstarch
3 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
1/2 tsp. grated ginger
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup of low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar (measured, not packed)
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2-3 large scallions, thinly sliced

Pat steak slices dry and add to a bowl with corn starch. Toss to ensure all pieces are just coated. Shake off excess corn starch using a strainer.

Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in a large wok or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the soy sauce, water, brown sugar and pepper flakes. Cook the sauce for about 2 minutes and transfer to a bowl.

Turn the heat to high and add the remaining oil to the wok. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides. Pour the sauce back into the wok and cook until the sauce reaches desired consistency. Add the green onions (a pinch reserved for garnish), stir, and remove from heat.
Plate, top with remaining onions, and serve.

Source: adapted from elly says opa!, orginally from Pink Bites

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks fantastic and one of my fave Chinese American dishes!

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

This looks great! I have never actually tried making my own Mongolian Beef...I will have to try soon now though!

Chris said...

This looks waaay better than the Mongolian Chicken takeout I got this week! I should have just made my own. :)