Deep-Dish Pan Pizza

Every time I see a pizza dough recipe, I think, "I really should go out and get a pizza stone." Then I don't. Then we order pizza/buy a frozen pizza and tell myself I'm going to go out and get a stone the next day. Then I don't.

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago and was excited to make it because I could use my cake pans instead of stoneware. I am a huge fan of this dough. It rose beautifully and had wonderful taste, and really didn't take a lot of preparation. I will definitely be making this dough again (at least until I finally get off my you-know-what and buy a pizza stone).

Deep-Dish Pan Pizza

6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
3/4 cup skim milk plus 2 additional tablespoons
2 tsp. granulated sugar
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for handling and kneading
2 1/4 tsp. active-dry yeast
1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup pizza sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Additional toppings of choice

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 200 degrees. When oven reaches 200 degrees, turn it off. While oven is preheating, lightly grease large bowl with cooking spray.

Mix milk, sugar, and 2 tablespoons oil in measuring cup. Mix flour, yeast, and salt in standing mixer fitted with dough hook. Turn machine to low and slowly add milk mixture. After dough comes together, increase speed to medium-low and mix until dough is shiny and smooth, about 5 minutes. Turn dough onto lightly floured counter, gently shape into ball, and place in greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in warm oven until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

Coat each of two 9-inch cake pans with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter, divide in half, and lightly roll each half into ball. Roll and shape each ball into 9-inch round and press into oiled pan. Cover with plastic wrap and set in warm spot until puffy, about 20 minutes.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove plastic wrap from dough, and ladle 1/2 cup sauce on each round, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Sprinkle each with 1 1/2 cups cheese and top with desired toppings. Bake until cheese is melted and dough is browning around edges, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let pizzas rest in pans for 1 minute. Using spatula, transfer pizzas to cutting board and cut each into 8 wedges.

Source: adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking, originally America's Test Kitchen

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow looks great- I will try that soon!