Moist Yellow Cake - and My First Wilton Class!

I have been considering signing up for a Wilton class for some time now. I found a class at a craft store by me that worked with my work schedule, so I thought, "Why not?" This was the first cake we decorated and I am having so much fun!

We needed to bring a two-layer cake into our second class. I have been trying to figure out a reason to make this cake, so this was the perfect opportunity! It made more batter than I needed (this recipe is for a three-layer cake), so I made a few cupcakes to eat before class. I was very happy with that decision and very happy with this recipe. (I didn't include the frosting recipe that I used, because it is the Class Buttercream from Wilton, which I wouldn't recommend using.)

Moist Yellow Cake

1 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 eggs, room temperature
3 cups self-rising flour, sifted
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
2 cups water
Vanilla or chocolate buttercream to frost cake

*I didn't have any self-rising flour, so I substituted 3 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tsp. baking powder and 1 1/2 tsp salt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (3) 8-inch cake pans. Gently tap pans to remove excess flour.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium speed until fluffy. Add 2 cups sugar, and continue to cream for about 7 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and butter flavoring and mix until just combined.

Divide batter equally into 3 cake pans. Hold each layer about 3 inches above your counter and carefully drop the pans flat on the counter several times to ensure release of any air bubbles.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove and immediately wrap each layer in plastic wrap to seal in moisture. Let cool completely on wire racks.

Combine 1 cup sugar and 2 cups water and bring to a boil in small saucepan. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool. Pour liquid into a spray bottle or pouring bottle.

Once layers are cool, unwrap and use a serrated knife to level. Take a straw and poke holes into each layer, and using your spray bottle, spray the top of each layer several times. Assemble layers with frosting between each layer. Continue frosting as desired.

Source: adapted from Bakerella

7 comments:

Molly Jean said...

You did a great job! It was fun, wasn't it? :)

Ellie said...

Beautiful cake! And great recipe, too!

Melissa said...

Great job, & it looks delicious.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Great job!!

Stacy Hoover said...

Beautiful cake!!! Great job!!!

Gia said...

Looks great!! I miss my classes! I took the first two and am hoping to fit the fondant class in this fall!

Mrs. Walk said...

Fabulous! You're practically a pro already! You should keep practicing and then just make cakes for a living!