Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

Hello, readers! I know it's been a while since my last post, but I am back, armed with several recipes from our Housewarming party last weekend. Obviously, I'm going to start with the best part - dessert!

I feel I should warn you upfront - this recipe is not waistline-friendly. And I'm completely okay with that. Are you? Okay, I'm glad to hear that. This recipe can be made either with brownie and cookie mixes, or from scratch. I have done both, and it just depends on how much time you have to make these. (I have listed my scratch recipe, but you can use any fudgy-brownie and chocolate chip cookie recipe mix - just prepare as the package directs, then follow the rest of the recipe.) Regardless, you absolutely must make these, then pour yourself a big glass of milk and eat 10 of them on the couch, while watching reruns of Sex and the City on TBS. Not that I did that or anything...

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

For the brownie part:
4oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, broken into pieces
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chocolate and butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred, then place in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add sugar and beat until well blended, occasionally scraping the sides of the bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add flour and continue mixing until well blended. Pour mixture into a greased 13x9 pan.

For the cookie part:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl and set aside. Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of a large mixer, until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Fold in morsels by hand. Drop by rounded tablespoons into brownie batter. You'll want to press the dough down lightly.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for at least 1 hour.

For the ganache:
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
6 Tbsp. butter

In a small saucepan, heat cream and butter until just before the boiling stage. Pour over the chocolate morsels. Let stand for about 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. Pour over the brownies, and smooth to cover completely. Let set before cutting. (This takes a crazy long time, but make sure to wait before cutting into them. I usually let them sit overnight, then cut them in the morning.) Cut into small pieces and enjoy!

Source: Cookies adapted from Nestle, brownies from Hershey's, ganache and recipe adapted from Bakerella.

6 comments:

Ellie said...

Yum! These look great!!

Mrs. Walk said...

These were awesome! I loved the added touch of the ganache topping. I mean, a brownie is good by itself, as is a cookie, but you not only put the two together, you added MORE chocolate on top! What's not to love?

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'm a sucker for chocolate chips in sweet recipes! This looks fantastic!

Kristen616 said...

Oh wow these look fabulous!!!

Aubrey said...

I just have to say, I'm pregnant and suffering from morning sickness but those look soooo good. I love reading your recipes.

Mrs D said...

Aubrey - I hope the morning sickness phase doesn't last too long for you! Hopefully you will get to make these soon. :-) (And congrats!)