Easy Cheesy Macaroni and Cheese

(As said in Joey's voice) "Pasta? Good. Milk? Good. Cheese? GOOD." Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. What could be better than cheese and pasta together? I don't think anything more perfect exists. (Besides oreo ice cream sandwiches of course.) To this day, when I have a sore throat, the only thing that makes me feel better is hot macaroni and cheese. And it is such a versatile dish - you can throw in veggies, meat, bread crumbs; you can add some hot sauce and seasoning to give it a kick; or you can just leave its cheesy goodness plain and simple. (Am I obsessing too much?)

I prefer a simple macaroni and cheese, and this recipe definitely fits the bill. I have been using it for a couple years and my 12 year old sister-in-law requests it every time she comes to visit. If you are looking for an all-American, super simple mac and cheese recipe, definitely read on friend... read on.

Easy Cheesy Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb. elbow macaroni
3 cups Colby longhorn cheese
3 cups New York sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk (I use 1 or 2%)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a pot of slightly salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni for 10 minutes, then drain. Run cold water over the noodles to cool. (This will prevent the noodles from melting the cheese before going into the oven.)

Meanwhile, cut cheese into 4 wedges each. Shred cheese, alternating between Colby and cheddar.

In a 9x13 baking dish, use half the pasta to make a layer of noodles, then cover with half the cheese. Repeat, using the rest of the pasta and cheese. (If you are making this ahead of time, this is the time to cover and put it in the refrigerator until you are ready to put it in the oven.)

Divide the butter into 4 pieces. On the top layer, place one piece of butter in each quadrant. Pour milk over the top very lightly and evenly.

Bake macaroni and cheese uncovered for 1 hour. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is how my mother in law makes mac and cheese, and I just love it!

Kristen616 said...

Looks really great! Mac and Cheese is totally one of my favorites. And this looks much better then Rachel's Trifle....haha! (from a fellow Friends lover!)

Kara said...

oreo ice cream sandwiches = heaven.

this recipe sounds good - I'll have to try it next week!

the happy family said...

what a great comfort food!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

It feels like forever since I had a good mac & cheese! This looks awesome!