Baked Chicken Taquitos

I have been thinking of stopping at Baja Fresh for at least a week to dine on some chicken taquitos. The problem is, they only provide three small ones. That's just not enough! Personally, I think 3 taquitos are more suitable as a side item. Maybe I will write a letter.

After not being able to get over knowing I wouldn't be satisfied, I decided to give them a try myself. And you know what? They were so simple! It was great for a weeknight meal and just what my taste buds wanted. Even better, they are baked instead of fried.

Baked Chicken Taquitos
yields 24 taquitos

2 chicken breasts, uncooked
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano

24 corn tortillas
Shredded Mexican-blend cheese (optional)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet, over medium heat. Combine seasonings and rub onto meat thoroughly. Cook chicken in heated oil until browned and cooked through. Once cooled, shred chicken breasts with a fork and set aside. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and add chopped onion. Saute' until onions are tender, about 5-8 minutes. Mix with shredded chicken.

Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Wrap corn tortillas in damp paper towels, and microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften, then lay out on a work surface. If adding cheese, add a thin layer to each tortilla. (Putting it under the meat will help prevent it from leaking out when it bakes.) Place several tablespoons of chicken and onions on each tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam side down on coated baking sheet, using a toothpick if necessary. Once all taquitos are rolled and on baking sheet, spray each of them with cooking spray.

Bake for 6 minutes then turn over and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Serve with salsa, sour cream and fresh guacamole.

Source: inspired by For the Love of Cooking

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks wonderful! What a great recipe and probably way better than any frozen packaged version!

Chris said...

I love taquitos! Baked is a great alternative (I'm scared of frying to be honest). And if there was a Baja Fresh in my building, I'd be there at least once a week (alas we have Taco Bell - which still warrants a once a week visit IMO).

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try these, my husband loves the frozen taquitos.

nicole said...

love it, great recipe. Just found your blog today and its fab.