Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes

Happy belated St. Patrick's Day! I was so wrapped up in thoughts yesterday morning, I left the house before remembering it was St. Patrick's Day. Of course, I didn't happen to be wearing green, so I spent the day being pinched and poked. (Who says you can poke people for not wearing green? Who made up that rule? We need St Patty's Day referees.) I didn't plan a traditional Irish meal - but I did plan a not-so-traditional Irish dessert. I'm not a beer drinker, so I didn't even bother to try these. Justin could survive on beer alone, thus he gobbled up a couple of these right away. They were very light and fluffy with just the right hint of Guinness flavor. (Although I was sad I didn't have any green food coloring in the house.) They were such a hit, he told a friend of his about them and now I have to make them for a party next weekend.


Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
Yields 24 cupcakes

For the cake:
1 cup Guinness beer
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda

For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
5 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium saucepan, combine the Guinness and butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted. Remove from heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar.

In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add the Guinness mixture to the bowl and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and baking soda and whisk until smooth.

Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 10-12 minutes. (They will seem extremely soft - I actually broke one open to make sure it was done.) Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.

To prepare the frosting, combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla and cream until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar to the bowl in batches, beating on low until just combined and then on high speed until desired consistency is reached. For a stiffer icing, add more powdered sugar. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.

Source: (the cake) adapted from Nigella Lawson, (the frosting) adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride

1 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

Ooh, these sound great! I had one Guinness on St. Patrick's Day, but would have much preferred one of these cupcakes!